Great style is difficult for so many women. There are too many choices. There are to many ads telling you what to wear, how you should look and how to be younger, sexier and prettier.
Sometimes it can get to the point where you just quit and put on those old jeans and t-shirt. Don’t give up!
Here are 6 easy universal style tips that will help you know when you are trying something on it will work for you!
As they say, “style doesn’t have a size”. Your style is a personal thing and you come to it by “trying on” new outfits! There are some great new styles out there this season.
Have fun with color; try on a new pair of shoes, a new dress. You just might find you like it!
- Find your hipbone…That’s right, your hip bone! When you are trying on a top and want to know if it is too short or too long to wear outside your pants, this will help you figure it out. Your hip bone is a universally flattering place to end your tops.
- Repeat the shape of your chin with the shape of your neckline. If you have more of a rounded chin, go with a deeper scooped out neckline. If your chin is more v-shaped, go with a soft “v” neckline. If you have a square jaw line, opt for a square or wide neckline. Repetition is a harmonious aspect of dressing well.
- When you wear something slim on the bottom, pair it with something fuller on top. This season go for slim or straight leg slacks worn with a fuller tunic top
- When you wear something more form fitting on the top, go with a fuller shape on the bottom. A wide circle skirt looks great with a fitted blouse or t-shirt
- Think “fit & flare” when shopping for a skirt. If you are ‘hippy’, choose firm but soft fabric, not clingy fabric. Firm and soft fabric with drape over your curves and fall but not hug or stand away from your hips or thigh area.
- When trying on heels, lean forward on your tip toes. Can you elevate your shoes 1” off the ground without falling over? If so, you’ll be able to walk effortlessly in them and be confident in your look!
Real style is a journey. It’s a history of where you’ve been and where you are going. Enjoy the journey and share with me your story!
Style that is accessible and achievable is the cornerstone of Karen Hughes’ mission. With humor and grace, she shows audiences how to connect to that little girl inside, transform your wardrobe, and discover the potential to shop with confidence and dress successfully no matter where they are in their life. I am a Certified Image Professional and received my training from London Image Institute, SciArt and The Australian Image Company and am a Graduate of Auburn University’s Merchandising and Apparel Program. I’ve been featured in newspapers, magazines and radio programs in and around the Southeast and some recognized business names include: Chick-fil-A, The Boston Consulting Group, Hogan Construction, CNN, Northwestern Mutual Financial, INPO, and Marca Inc.