Mrs. Utah Results: First Runner Up & Winner of the Interview

I wanted to share… I won Interview and was 1st Runner Up in the Mrs. Utah United States 2008 competition last weekend. I felt incredibly peaceful throughout the competition and was filled with love and joy the entire night. I never felt more beautiful inside and out (besides my wedding day!) Thank you dear friends for encouraging me on the journey, I felt your love, encouragement and prayers!!

Ironically 3 months ago I was most apprehensive about the swimsuit portion and so when my wrap fell off of me at the top of the stairs it could have been a potential disaster/embarrassment, yet instead I had no fears, no nervousness, just absolute peace and confidence—that in and of itself was a huge breakthrough for me. I had worked really hard with my nutrition and with my trainer, Liz Rosenbaum (love her!!), lost 14 pounds, toned up and did great in the swimsuit category. I also worked hard on my onstage “walk” and received high scores for my performance in evening gown.

I appreciate the motivation behind the pageant and the gift it has been and will continue to be as time moves forward. I’m also convinced that pageants can be a very positive place for promoting a cause and making great friends! Mrs. Utah 2008 Emily Nelson (a friendly and bright fashion blogger) is a gem and I’m truly happy for her opportunity to serve our state.

I’m still processing my experience and will write a bit more about it later… it was such an intense focus for 3 months that I’m trying to understand all of the lessons behind it and results. I’ve been a tad disappointed today because I was so very very close, but thanks to my dear friend/mentor Heather Madder I’m feeling much more peaceful now. Heather’s biggest advice for me was to “get outside of my head and into my heart and ask myself, what did I win from it?” The answer? So many, many things… appreciation for health/exercise, my true identity became more clear, and much more than a title could ever give. I also am becoming more clear that Utahns are only one state of the women I serve and not to be disappointed because really, I’ve been serving women from all over the world through this site for quite a while now…and I can expand that reach and focus as I continue to LIVE my platform, Empowering Women to Fulfill their Dreams in Business. What a blessed life I lead!

This entry was posted in Life Balance and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

12 Responses to “Mrs. Utah Results: First Runner Up & Winner of the Interview”

1. jessica brown on May 27th, 2008 10:09 am

Way to go Kelly! You look beautiful!

2. Laurie Thayne on May 27th, 2008 5:06 pm

What an amazing experience! Wow! First runner up is great! I bet a year or two ago you hadn’t imagined competeing for the Mrs. Utah crown. And there you are on that stage. Just reading what you’ve written about it, is very inspirational.

3. startupprincess on May 27th, 2008 8:16 pm

Thank you Jessica and Laurie for your comments here and for the masses of emails today from other Startup Princess friends and Fairy Godmothers. I feel your love and appreciate our congratulations for my awards/honors. I need to refocus on all the beautiful and great things that have come from the experience and the fears conquered and how I pushed myself higher in so many ways. I can’t let the opinions of the judges get me down, right!? ;)

4. Lisa R on May 27th, 2008 9:02 pm

What an amazing experience! You look fabulous and you achieved so much. You are a winner in every way!

5. tawnie on June 1st, 2008 11:44 am

OMG Kelly, I’m SOOO happy for you ! You look gorgeous
    in that gown. No wonder you placed so close to winning
    but I’d have voted YOU #1 ! Love to see more pics later
    and hear more about your exciting event ! You ROCK girlfriend !

6. Debbie on June 10th, 2008 1:54 pm

Kelly,
    I am so proud of you girl! You are a knockout. Your strength, wisdom and energy shows in all that you do. You look gorgeous and to be 1st Runner Up is a huge accomplishment!!! Congrats!!!

7. The Handy Princess on June 10th, 2008 4:11 pm

[...] but now I aspire to that). I also met someone who I was not at all surprised to learn later was 1st runner up in the Mrs. Utah pageant. She just had that Mrs. Utah glow and charisma. Sometimes I get twitchy [...]

8. Sarah on July 12th, 2008 3:45 pm

That is an absolutely incredible gown! I love it! The whole Chambers/Gifford families are just continually amazed at all the beautiful wonderful things you are able to accomplish in your life :) You’re inspiring!

9. startupprincess on July 12th, 2008 9:43 pm

Thank you to everyone!! :) I had such a fabulous experience, highly recommend doing a pageant–motivation, motivation, motivation! plus who doesn’t love a bit of glamour!? ;)

10. melinda neilson dellenbach on August 15th, 2008 5:52 pm

Hi “Kelly King Again,”

You may not remember me…London 1993…My family and I recently moved back to Utah and it has been fun over the past few years to see a few updates on you from afar. I read an article in the BYU alumni magazine about your degree, awards, and business and look at you now! Wow! So many accomplishments! You look great, sound happy, and it is fun to see that energy and the “joie de vive” that you have always eminated really shining strong.

Much love, Mindy

11. Liz Rosenbaum Fitness » Blog Archive » Mrs. Utah United States 2009 on April 27th, 2009 9:08 pm

[...] woman I have had the opportunity to train who has competed in the Mrs. Utah pageant. Last January, Kelly King Anderson, founder of StartupPrincess.com, was my very first client EVER!! She had made a personal goal to [...]

12. How to Prepare For Your Next Media and Press Opportunities : StartupPrincess.com on November 4th, 2009 6:58 am

[...] stories, most recently on the Cover of Wasatch Woman September/October Issue 2009 and competing for Mrs. Utah in 2008. If after reading this post you’re ready for MORE media training I want to invite you to [...]