Dreyer’s or Edy’s? Why Have Two Names for the Same Product?

At the end of Main Street, USA at The Magic Kingdom in Disneyworld, Florida is the “Edy’s Ice Cream Parlor.” At the end of Main Street USA at Disneyland, California the same shoppe is called, “Dreyer’s Ice Cream Parlor” I was confused…did Dreyer’s change names to Edy’s? I wonder how many other customers wonder the same question.

The answer is NO, Edy’s=Dreyer’s. While I enjoyed my delicious ice cream sandwich ( made with another strong classic brand… Nestle’s Toll House cookies), I considered the motivation for Dreyer’s to have a second name, Edy’s (in the east). Motivation? I perhaps one reason is their competitor, Breyer’s. The name is too close for comfort, so they are experimenting with a different name. Or perhaps they purchased Edy’s and kept separate names for branding purposes in their respective regions. I really don’t know. But why not choose one name to strengthen a national image? Isn’t that a headache to maintain 2 websites? It seems like it would be. What about a national ad campaign in a magazine? It seems it would be hard to compete when you have to promote two different names…a challenge Ben & Jerry’s certainly doesn’t have to deal with.

Here’s a couple ways they maintain two brands: The reason I realized that Edy’s might be the same as Dreyer’s is because they have the same style: the same font, logo, same brown and white stripe identity gave me the clue that Edy’s might be the familiar Dreyer’s brand. This was essential!! If they had changed their name AND their logo/identity it would have been an added challenge to their loyal customers to recognize whether they are on the west or on the east coast.

Interesting, but I really dont’ see the point of maintaining two names in the long run it seems it will hurt them. Does anyone out there know the answer why they would keep the names separate?

images.jpgToday’s Magic Wand: If you covered up your company name and logo on your business card, would someone else be able to recognize your brand?

This entry was posted in Feature. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

15 Responses to “Dreyer’s or Edy’s? Why Have Two Names for the Same Product?”

1. Heather Ledeboer on July 21st, 2007 1:46 pm

Ha! I have had the same question in my mind before:). I don’t know the answer to that one but do work with a company that has two identical lines with two brand names (Bebe au Lait and Hooter Hider nursing covers). The company started with the Hooter Hider name and it was received warmly by many. However, some did not like the name and some boutique owners did not feel it was the right fit for their store. So, to respond, the company created a second line–Bebe au Lait (identical in every way to Hooter Hiders with just a different label). They first planned to replace the Hooter Hiders with Bebe au Lait however so many liked that name that hey instead decided to keep them both. I offer both lines on my site http://www.mom4life.com and have found that there is a strong demand for both brands interestingly enough.

2. startupprincess on July 21st, 2007 3:34 pm

Interesting example, Fairy Godmother Heather! I think it would start to get confusing when you’re answering your phone…don’t you think? Do they have a parent company name?

Regarding Dreyer’s and Edy’s name, I just got the word from a respected marketing source that Breyer’s and Dreyer’s decided to split the country in half so Dreyer’s is only in the west…but my grocery store sells both Dreyers and Breyer’s. So, did they forget which half they were each on? Strange!

3. Heather Ledeboer on July 22nd, 2007 12:47 am

That is strange! The company’s offical name is Bebe au Lait and they have it tradmarked but they still offer the Hooter Hider option and in their ads they often mention both. It can get a little confusing and I have several customers that ask me what the difference between them is:). BUT if there is a demand for both. . .

4. startupprincess on July 22nd, 2007 11:33 pm

Hmmm…I guess they will have to decide when it stops working for them and which brand has higher demand. Amazing how a brand attracts or repels customers. I personally wouldn’t feel comfortable with a product called “Hooter Hider”, but I have a friend that would laugh if I gave that to her! ;)

5. Meg Hughes on July 24th, 2007 7:44 pm

While not the only brand to have different names on the east and west coast (Hellman’s & Best Foods mayo for example) Dryer’s seems to be an exception because they made the distinction later in the history of the company. Hellman’s & Best Foods were once two seperate companies who chose to keep their respective names when they merged.

According to the Dryer’s web site, William Dreyer partnered with candy-maker Joseph Edy, and together they founded a small ice cream factory in Oakland, California in 1928. It wasn’t until 1981 when they expanded east of the Rockies that they began marketing ice cream under Edy’s. Breyer’s originally started in the east coast (Philadelphia, maybe). My guess is that the name change east of the Rockies was to fend off any infringement suits by Breyer’s.

Meg Hughes

6. startupprincess on July 24th, 2007 10:17 pm

Meg, Thanks so much for taking time to share your research with us ;) What is so interesting to me is that the Dreyers name may not be welcome in the east but both brands are at my grocery store in Utah. Who is the brand police?

7. Wildwood, NJ on July 27th, 2007 5:51 am

Hey, don’t be coming close to putting breyer’s ice cream down! Ha Ha! Breyer’s has a vanilla basic ice cream that can’t be beat! Just one of the three great foods of philly (cheesesteaks and tastykake). keep up the good work, enjoy your site. The philly people go to Wildwood, NJ to vacation. One more person and I bet the island will sink!

8. startupprincess on July 27th, 2007 8:10 am

Hey there Wildwood, NJ–

Don’t despair, I LOVE Breyers…in fact their all natural ice creams is what I eat, their Vanilla Bean is my fav. Personally it would ruin my evenings of indulgence without their brand in my freezer, I just wonder why I have a choice since it’s been made clear that Dreyer’s is the “west” and Edy’s is in the “east” and “Breyer’s is supposed to be in the east too…not the west. Maybe they renegotiated or something. Hmmm

9. Ice Cream Guy on October 19th, 2007 10:57 am

Dreyer’s got its start in the West, but did not obtain a federal trademark registration of the name “Dreyer’s.” Breyers (which was then a Kraft brand) got is start in the East, and did obtain a federal trademark registration. As the two brands increased their reach accross the country, a similarity of name issue was inevitable. The end result was that Dreyer’s does not sell Dreyer’s branded products in the Eastern U.S. Dreyer’s and Edy’s were the founders of the company, so Edy’s is used in the Eastern U.S. Becuse the Dreyer’s brand was already very well-known in the West, it did not make sense to discontinue the use of that brand.

10. ARhianna on December 8th, 2009 4:05 pm

I just recently moved to RI from CA and I was very confused when I went to grab a half gallon of Dreyer’s only to see it was not Dreyer’s but rather Edy’s. I know see that Edy’s=east coast and Dreyers’s=west coast, but Breyer’s is across the board, east to west.

11. Joseph Edy on December 26th, 2009 1:21 pm

As I understand, Dreyers signed a contract with Bryers not to do business east of the Rockies (Could be Mississippi) with the Dreyers name. There are court papers that they are not to use the Dreyers name in California. That’s my understanding, and I’m the grandson of the founder.

12. Acid Jazz CD on June 11th, 2010 3:39 am

You may haven’t intended to do so, but I think you’ve managed to express the state of mind that lots of individuals are in. The sense of wanting to help, but not knowing how or wherever, is something a lot of us are going through.

13. Q on June 28th, 2011 1:17 am

It is for legal reasons. The original founders last names were Dreyer and Edy. They had to change the name west of the Rockies because of a legal battle with Breyers. I worked for the company 8 years. Forget the marketing headache, it was a logistical nightmare, both products in the same warehouse, can’t tell you how many times a pallet of dreyers/Edys would end up in the wrong region.

14. Trancic on April 2nd, 2012 11:07 pm

The switch may well have something to do with the Dreyers-Breyers title controversy. If this is the initial reason for considering a name switch, though, the reason for the name to switch TO (Edy’s) is because Joseph Edy originally co-founded the company now known as Dreyer’s.

15. Michael on April 18th, 2012 2:54 pm

For years Dreyer’s existed quietly and successfully on the west coast in about 11 western states. If you do some investigating you will find that their logo used script lettering VERY similar to that of Breyers. As Dreyers grew it was inevitable that they were to expand into Breyers territory. First came the battle over the logo and Dreyers had to change to the block lettering we know today. Then, Breyers took them to task over name infringement. It was settled that east of the Rockies Dreyers had to use the name Of Edy’s to avoid confusion. Since Breyers pre-existed /Dreyer’s they were allowed to keep and use their name anywhere they pleased….